- Genesis 1:27-28; 2:18-24
- Matthew 5:32; 19:4-6
- Ephesians 5:25; 31-32
- 1 Corinthians 7:14
- "When husband and wife are united in marriage they no longer seem like something earthly, but rather like the image of God Himself."
- -- St. John Chrysostom (+407)
- "Marriage is more than human. It is a "microbasileia," a miniature kingdom, which is the little house of the Lord."
- -- St. Clement of Alexandria
- "This is to be called love which is true, otherwise it is desire; so that those who desire are said improperly to love, just as they who love are said to desire. But that is true love, that living to the truth we may live righteously, and so may despise all mortal things in comparison with the love of men, whereby we wish them to live rightesouly."
- -- St. Augustine (+430)